Thanks for tuning into episode 24 of Dear Diaspora! For today’s episode, I had a lovely conversation with Margaret, founder of Kahawa 1893!
Margaret is a third-generation coffee farmer from Kenya. Inspired by the work of women in coffee, she created a unique business model to share delicious coffee with the world and to empower women producers in Africa.
Kahawa 1893 removesthe middleman and works directly with farmers, and commits 25% of their profits to provide access to credit for women—giving them the ability participate in trade and empower themselves financially.
You can also support the women directly by sending a tip!
During the episode, Margaret walks us through:
- Her upbringing on a coffee farm in Western Kenya
- How she found a mentor to help her navigate the coffee industry in the early days of Kahawa 1893
- How she’s taking Fair Trade to the next level by providing a way to tip coffee producers using Blockchain technology
- Her mission to build a Pan African coffee brand we can all be proud of
- What excites her about Africa’s future
“Coffee is inherently African, and it’s one of the best things we’ve given to the world.” –Margaret Nyamumbo
Buy Kahawa 1893 coffee and tip a farmer: https://kahawa1893.com
Follow Kahawa1893 on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kahawa1893/
Join the Dear Diaspora FB Community: https://www.facebook.com/deardiaspora
Follow Dear Diaspora on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/deardiaspora/